The main objectives of the study are:
* To review the scale of the problem of nuisance from light pollution.
* To summarise the current UK and EC legislation / guidance.
* To provide details of the security and permanent garden lighting that is reported to cause a nuisance to neighbours, and the reasons for this.
* To suggest simple, low-cost, practical solutions to reduce the potential for nuisance, and comment upon their likely effectiveness.
* To consider possible methods by which a local authority may assess whether a nuisance is occurring, both subjective and objective.
* To provide a draft final report and then a final report detailing the work carried out and the results of the study.
* To provide a guide, both outlining the problem of nuisance from security and permanent garden lighting and offering advice on the means of reducing the potential for problems to arise, suitable for publication on the Department's web site.