Return to Science Search homepage
Return to Project List
The immunological determination of meat content - AN0674
1. Establish improvements to immunoassay protocol:
(I) optimise meat sample extraction procedures;
(ii) improve the stability of diluted sample extracts prior
(iii) investigate methods of reducing the effects of fat in
(iv) identify the best type of microtitre plate to control
non-specific interactions with solubilised meat proteins.
By end of month 8.
2. Preparation of immunoaffinity purified antibody cocktails
of the required specificity. By end of month 9.
3. Develop immunoassay based on a capture antibody
principle. By end of month 14.
4. Establish and prepare an appropriate meat content
standard for calibration of the immunoassay. By the end of
5. Application of improved immunoassay to determination of
meat content of meat products of known composition. By end
of month 16.
6. Statistical assessment of assay performance. By end of
7. Production of anti-cooked muscle antibodies directed
against beef, pork, lamb and poultry.
8. Immunoaffinity purification of anti-cooked meat
9. Assessment of anti-cooked meat antibody binding to cooked
meat using microtitre plate format immunoassay techniques.
By end of month 12.
10. Submission of project report to MAFF.
By end of month 18.
In year 2 priority will be given to the cooked meat
immunoassay provided its performance at objective 9 is
Time-Scale and Cost
Contractor / Funded Organisations